- 1903 - Standard Wheel Company, Terre Haute, Indiana,
expanded its bicycle operation to include the Overland
Automotive Division to manufacture motor vehicles. The
Overland "Runabout" was introduced.
- 1908 - John North Willys purchased the Overland Automotive
Company, Indianapolis, Indiana. The Pope-Toledo automobile
manufacturing plant was purchased and all automotive
operations were moved to Toledo, Ohio.
- 1912 - Willys-Overland Company was formed, producing the
famous Willys-Knight series of vehicles and later the
- 1936 - Willys-Overland Motors, Inc. was formed as a result
of a Depression-era bankruptcy reorganization.
- April 1953 - Willys-Overland Motors, Inc. (facilities,
plants, and other physical assets) was purchased by Henry J.
Kaiser interests, and Willys Motors, Inc. was formed.
- March 1963 - Willys Motors, Inc. name was changed to
- March 3, 1964 - As the Studebaker Corporation of South
Bend, Indiana went out of business, Kaiser-Jeep entered
into a novation agreement with Studebaker to assume a
contract for the manufacture of military trucks. The
Chippewa Avenue Studebaker Plant was purchased.
- February 5, 1970 - Kaiser-Jeep Corporation was purchased by
American Motors Corporation.
- March 26, 1970 - Kaiser-Jeep Corporation name was changed
to Jeep Corporation. Jeep Corporation operated a
Commercial Products Division with facilities at Toledo,
Ohio, and a General Products Division with facilities at
South Bend, Mishawaka, and Indianapolis, Indiana.
- May 14, 1970 - Jeep Comporation General Products Division
corporate offices were moved from Toledo, Ohio to Wayne,
- March 31, 1971 - Jeep Corporation General Products Division
facilities and business were spun off and a separate
wholly-owned subsidiary of American Motors was formed and
named AM General Corporation.
- February 23, 1979 - AM General Corporation corporate
offices were moved from Wayne to Detroit (American Motors
1981 AMGeneral HMMWV Prototype
- September 20, 1983 - AM General Corporation was sold by
American Motors to the LTV Corporation, becoming a
subsidiary of LTV Aerospace and Defense Company and doing
business as LTV Aerospace & Defense Company, AM General
- August 20, 1984 - AM General Divison corporate offices
were moved from the American Motors AMTEK Building to new
facilities off Plymouth Road in Livonia, Michigan.
- October 1, 1986 - AM General corporate offices were moved
to the existing manufacturing facility on Chippewa Avenue
in South Bend, Indiana, with the Engineering facility
remaining in Livonia, Michigan.
- November 1, 1986 - AM General working name was changed to
LTV Missiles & Electronics Group, AM General Division, as a
result of a reorganization of LTV Corporation.
- February 1, 1990 - AM General working name was changed to
LTV Aerospace and Defense Company, AM General Corporation,
as a result of a reorganization of LTV Corporation.
- February 9, 1990 - AM General corporate offices were moved
to a new, leased building on Niles Avenue in downtown South
Bend as a result of the closure of the Chippewa Avenue
- April 30, 1992 - AM General Corporation was sold by LTV
Corporation to the Renco Group, Inc.
For more history, see AMG's Web Sites: