Ted Nugent

Artists other than SRC

Ted Nugent

Postby Bob » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:19 pm

I worked in rock radio for many years and interviewed Ted Nugent on two different occasions. When a rock star would come to a station for an interview it was customary to ask them to record a promo for the station. One one occasion Ted went the extra mile and cut promos for each of the station's jocks. I produced the promos, so took him into the production room and just let the tape roll while he did the promos.

This tape was very revealing. He turned that wild and crazy persona off and on like a light switch. When cutting each promo he'd scream at the top of his lungs, while in between he'd talk like a normal person.

Ted has always been very good at self-promotion. His wildness and craziness is the way he gets attention, and it works. Notice that he's talked about all the time to this very day. He's all over the news right now because of some outrageous thing he said. While many of his contemporaries have faded into obscurity, Ted still sells plenty of concert tickets.

When's the last time you heard Bob Seger mentioned on the news, or at all? See what I mean? You might not agree with Ted's views, and I'm certainly not endorsing them, but he knows what he's doing...keeping himself in the public eye.
SRC aficionado since 1968
Bob
Site Admin

Re: Ted Nugent

Postby floyd6451 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:48 pm

that is so true...

there was a time when his guitar spoke louder and more creatively ... it was easier to ignore/enjoy the rants then...
floyd6451

Re: Ted Nugent@GQ

Postby Tonto1967 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:50 am

Ted Nugent and GQ on the same show? It happened summer of 67 at the Northland Mump. Ted was playing with the Amboy Dukes at the time and was not very well known. GQ had a following in SRC. Both bands played on a revolving stage. When one band was done they would turn the stage and the other band was ready to go. With Nugent and GQ, you saw two of Detroits best going toe to toe.
Tonto1967

Return to Other Artists