SRC remastered CDs?

Anything about SRC

SRC remastered CDs?

Postby cBc » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:26 am

I got an email list from one of my online sources for music, and they list as "upcoming" the three SRC albums as being remastered & coming out soon.
Anyone have any info? I wrote back asking them for any details (who did the remasters, what label, etc)
This might be interesting!
cBc

Re: SRC remastered CDs?

Postby cBc » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:31 pm

cBc

Postby floyd6451 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:46 pm

I picked up a copy of this bix set yesterday. I've only looked through the liner notes so far. Listening next. Will keepthe board informed as to my opinion
floyd6451

Postby Bob » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:44 am

I got this e-mail from Steve Lyman this morning (I happen to have the One-Way versions):

The Recent 3-Album 2-CD Re-Issue of SRC's Capitol Releases

The Amazon reviewer was quite correct. It does seem to be the same audio-flaw, which went wholly unnoticed with the 2001 British "Black Sheep" release (that one done by former Bam Caruso guy Phil Smee). It seems that somehow Capitol has remastered and stored the SRC catalogue, without knowing that the 1st and 2nd album contents were mistakenly done in mono from the stereo source (there was no mono mix done originally). The new CD release is supposedly remastered in 2012 by Andrew Thompson at Sound Performance in London, so he was probably not listening carefully enough to realize that the only stereo tracks were those from the "Traveler's Tale" album. I find this quite appalling, not for myself, but particularly for those who spent as much as 25 dollars to have an accurate reproduction of SRC's entire Capitol catalogue. When a mono mix is made from a stereo source, aside from losing the left-to-right stereo imaging, it also creates phasing problems whereby certain frequencies may nearly disappear. I've got to say that the only really reliable CDs seem to be the One Way versions from 1992-1993. These remasters (of 2001 & 2012) are fine, if all one wishes to hear is that third album's material, but for most SRC fans, it is the material from 1968 & 1969 which is most desirable. As best I can recall, the only thing originally mixed in mono was the single version of "Black Sheep," because at that time, most singles (geared for AM radio) were mixed in mono. I think that John Rhys did both a mono mix and a stereo mix on that later shortened version of our first single. But when it was released (at the end of 1968), I am quite sure that Capitol just did it with the stereo mix, as by then 45RPM singles were becoming more commonplace.

BGOCD1051 SRC "SRC * Milestones * Traveler's Tale" digitally re-mastered
Beat Goes On Records, 7 Andrews Street North, Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk IP33 1TZ, England

sincerely,
Steve
SRC aficionado since 1968
Bob
Site Admin

Postby cBc » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:00 pm

Wellllll..CRAP! I hadn't listened to the BGO set in headphones, and didn't really notice it until I recently FLAC'd the tracks to listen on my Sansa Clip+ Couldn't put my finger on it at the time, but after listening , I kept thinking "something sounds weird" here. Now I know. Will have to revisit the 2010 Microwerks CD releases (remastered by Jerry Peterson) to see if they bunged them up too. Can't imagine how anyone could sit & remaster them & not notice this. Very very sad.
Luckily I still own my One Way originals, but I was so excited to think we could get newly struck/mastered stereo version of these classics.Someone needs to get the master copies to one Steve Hoffman, who I know would do them up right.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Hoff ... ngineer%29
cBc

Postby blacksheepish » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:10 pm

What do people think of the sound quality of the British '2LPs on one CD' "SRC/Milestones" release by See For Miles Records Ltd. from 1998? I sold my One Way CD of "SRC" when I bought this CD; should I have kept it? I don't know if the LPs were in stereo or mono on the See For Miles CD.
blacksheepish

Postby cBc » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:13 am

Easy enough to determine..listen thru headphones to see if they are in mono or stereo.
If Capitol in all their wisdom really did strike masters done in mono, & have destroyed the original tapes, then we are SOL on ever getting true clean stereo remastered SRC. :roll:
Glad I hung onto my One Ways.
cBc

Postby blacksheepish » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:34 am

I had not listened to the See For Miles 'two albums on one CD' 1998 UK release on headphones, only on my small hi-fi where I did not notice as the sound was equally split between left and right. On headphones, I suspect it is indeed mono, as the sound on left and right headphones appears to be identical, i.e. no splitting of instruments between left and right. I googled 'SRC - Black Sheep' and a Steve Hoffman forum says the See For Miles CD is probably the mono versions. I would not have sold my One Way CD of the first album if I had realised I was losing a stereo version. Should not record companies be forced to state on the CD packaging if the album is mono or stereo? In the days of vinyl LPs, they used to specify if they were mono or stereo pressings.

The One Way CDs are now sadly out of print. I have now bought a secondhand copy of the One Way CD of the first album, for a lot more than I sold my copy for, and maybe it won't be in the same mint condition, which is annoying. As I have read on this forum that the Microwerks reissues were also in good stereo versions, it is tragic that these too are out of print. Tine for the Japanese to issue mini lp cds of the SRC albums in stereo on SHM or Blu Spec.

I look forward to hearing again the One Way SRC album and comparing it to the See For Miles edition.

John Murray (http://thessalypress.com)
blacksheepish

Postby cBc » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:47 am

Found an old post from GQ here, commenting on BGO & Microwerks:

WARNING ! THESE ARE IN MONO ! DO NOT DO NOT BUY THIS BUTCHERY ! T TALE MAY BE IN STERO,HOWEVER DO NOT PURCHASE THIS MONSTROSITY ! COMPLAIN TO EVERY RETAILER YOU CAN FIND ! I GOT AHOLD OF ANDY GRAY @ BGO & HE COULD CARE LESS ! FUK 'EM ! ROK ON ! GQ/SRC GARY J QUACKENBUSH THE MICROWERKS/SHOUT FACTORY CDS SOUND JUST FINE ! I CHECKED ! NO DIFFERENCE FROM ONE WAY CDS ! ROK ON ! GQ/SRC
cBc

Postby blacksheepish » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:38 am

Yes, I should have bought the Microwerks/Shout Factory CDs. Nice cardboard digipaks, too. Wish they would be reissued.
blacksheepish

Next

Return to SRC General Discussion