Src Songs

Anything about SRC

Src Songs

Postby Tonto1967 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:15 am

Since I worked for SRC for 3 months in the summer of 1967, my take on the band is this. There is no doubt that they all were very talented musicians. Aside from a few dynamite songs,there songwriting skills were not up to industry standards. This eventually lead to the groups demise.
Tonto1967

Re: Src Songs

Postby scl second guitar » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:53 am

An interesting point (by Tonto1967) by one who was there with the band for a while during that first year, although I wouldn't agree with his conclusion, that it was the lack of songwriting skills (not up to industry standards) which eventually led to their demise as a group. Most of the beauty (for those who perceived it as such) of the material, on SRC's debut Capitol Records album released at the end of the summer of 1968, had yet to even begin to unfold until several months after Tonto1967's departure. So he was not around the band, or direct witness to the process, when that songwriting process was happening, which was very different from the scatterbrained attempts to be creative during the "I'm So Glad" and "Who Is That Girl?" heyday of the summer of 1967. As for so-called industry standards, that first album's material was done with a total disregard for those tin-pan-alley standards, an attempt to compose based upon what represented the inner moving force of SRC's mindset, without fitting the ideas into the standard A-A-B-A-B songwriting mold. Did that method successfully work? Some would say "yes" in that it was a very unique style. But perhaps most would say "no" especially because the band and recordings were not very successful with the public. The debate, on all of that, if anybody really cares after all these years, is too complex to deal-with here, but I would really say it was primarily other factors which led to SRC's demise, particularly internal personal frictions between members, which were hidden from the outside, plus the complexity of trying to write songs as a group, which didn't work as well as imagined.
scl second guitar

Postby Tonto1967 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:10 am

I think you nailed it Mr. Lyman.
Tonto1967

Postby Tonto1967 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:57 pm

How did SRC get permission to incorporate Beck,s Bolero in the Hall of the mountain king song?
Tonto1967

Return to SRC General Discussion