Permission to use song "Morning Mood" in student film

Anything about SRC

Permission to use song "Morning Mood" in student film

Postby ntustin » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:10 pm

I'm a senior in college making a short animated film for my thesis, and SRC's cover song of Morning Mood would fit perfectly in my credits. I will be getting no profit for this film, but I may want to enter it into an animation film festival one day. Does anyone know how I could get in contact with a band member in order to ask permission to use this song?
Thanks, my email is nctustin@gmail.com.
-Nick Tustin
ntustin

Re: Permission to use song "Morning Mood" in student film

Postby scl second guitar » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:56 pm

Nick,
Sorry about any delay in your getting an answer to your inquiry about "Morning Mood" but I do not go to this SRC Website too often. As a musical piece, the "Morning Mood" segment of "The Peer Gynt Suite" (by Edvard Grieg) is public domain material, which you probably already know. SRC got royalty credit however, as that version was the band's own "arrangement" of the classical piece. As for the recording (originally B-side to the single "Black Sheep" at the end of 1968), it belongs to EMI (parent company to USA's Capitol Records), and it is not legally possible for any former member of the now-nonexistent SRC to grant permission for its use. It shouldn't be a big deal, especially since the original composition is often used without permission as public domain material. But to be on the safe side, I would advise somehow inquiring with Capitol Records, or at least seeking the advice of someone versed in these legal matters. Sorry that I cannot provide you with anymore than that, as I do not know.
scl second guitar

Return to SRC General Discussion