Taking a date to see S R C

Concert experiences from the past, as well as recent or upcoming reunion shows

Taking a date to see S R C

Postby Jim Schrock » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:13 am

Somewhere around Dec '68-Feb '69, S R C were playing the BBTC/Palladium/Pub in B'ham. It was before I had my license, but I lived nearby and could easily walk. I had the hots for a young lady who also lived nearby (her name was Lilly), and I asked her to accompany me to the show. At the time, kids just hung out in clumps, and would show up places as a group; her coming with me was unusual in her circle of friends.

We got there early, and I planted us close to center stage so I could observe Steve and Gary. After about an hour, she said to me "...aren't you bored? I am." I said no, and so she decided to get up, move around, and see if her friends were there. I did not see her again that night, nor did we date again. Nor did I ever ask a date to accompany me to a show again.

So that night was girl lost, but guitar knowledge gained priceless! Guitar parts learned: Checkmate, OneSimpleTask, Bolero, Paragon Council. A great night! I did see Lilly years later at OCC; she aked if I was still 'infatuated' with music. I think you know what I answered!

Take Care
Jim
Jim Schrock

Re: Taking a date to see S R C

Postby KFox01 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:18 pm

Dear Jim,

Loved your story and it is easy to see that you were a man with purpose that night. You went there to be entertained and to be educted. Lilly on the other hand was there to be seen and was all "Me, Me, Me". She might of said she was bored but looking at it from her shallow point of view it's clear to see that she would never be as attractive as Scot Richardson, nor as talented as Gary Quackenbush or Steve Lyman.

No doubt she went on to marry a protologist and made a living hell out of life for the two of them. I'm sure by now most of her group of friends are dead or in prison serving terms for crimes against humanity. By now she's gone through three failed marriages and is up to her eyeballs in debt. Her home is worth 1/5 of the mortgage she took out on it. That frown she always had has turned into deep wrikles and she's really let herself go. She spends most of her time sucking down cheap wine and liquor and talking about "The Good Old Days" at the BBTC, through her missing teeth.

Just think, had she stayed seated with you, in that prime location you picked out, for just another 20 minutes, her whole life might have been different. But allas, today there's not enough voltage to Schrock her back into coherance.

It's much better to go to a concert with people of like interest. A "DATE" is a concert killer because a date is always in competition with the band for your attention. You were smart and learned this early Jim.

Thanks for sharing!!!!

Kim Fox
KFox01

Postby Jim Schrock » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:25 pm

Well Mr. Fox, you hit the bullseye with "date/concert competition". It was solo city after that going to BBTC/Pub/Palladium. The exception was a time when I had a date with a girl named Cindy who had a drivers license and a car (I still had no license). This 'older woman' wanted to see The Amboy Dukes, so we went together (she picked me up) and we did have a good time. She was into the music and sat center stage with me, and was content to absorb it all. BTW, it was The Amboy Dukes, not just 'Ted Nugent' and his band; the Dukes as a total were the real deal.

So now Kim, you had a great post-S R C comcert analysis on Lilly; what thinkest thou about what has become of Cindy since then? I thouroughly enjoyed the prognosis on Lilly. Please comment!!

Take Care

Jim

Note: I also learned shortly after to not take a date with me to a gig, but that is another story for another time!
Jim Schrock

Postby KFox01 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:43 pm

Oh Jim, you sly devil you!!! Of course you made an exception (Older "more experienced" Woman, has car, has license, digs the Amboy Dukes, has her sights set on you), you're a man of impeccable taste. What a find, sits certer stage, is content and absorbed, as opposed to being self absorbed like Lilly. Fun loving and self confident, that's our (I mean your) Cindy.

As I stare into the vinyl cover of my "Lost Masters" CD a vision of sexy Cindy appears to me. I'm sure Cindy went on to own her own business (an art gallery or curio shop of sorts) and was very successful. She never married but has continued to date younger men and often hangs out at Boogie Nights in Ferndale with the rest of the cougars. She has kept herself in amazing shape with her yoga classes at the 555 building and attends all the classic rock concerts she can (always sitting center stage) with warm rememberances of that special night at the BBTC/Pub/Palladium with you and the Amboy Dukes. Not much impresses CIndy, she's happy to come home and put on an SRC CD, pour a glass of fine wine and spend some time with her collie "Jim". She's content with her life and often drifts off to sleep thinking of the good old days at the BBTC ("Oh Baby Please Don't Go"!!!).

For a man without a license or a car you did alright my friend.

Kim Fox
KFox01

Return to SRC Concerts